The Stihl 270 chainsaw is renowned for its power, reliability, and durability. Whether you’re a professional logger or a homeowner looking for a reliable tool to tackle tree maintenance, the Stihl MS 270 is a popular choice. In this article, we will delve into a detailed review of the Stihl 270 chainsaw, exploring its notable features, performance, and overall value.
Stihl MS 270 Overview
The Stihl MS 270 is a powerful chainsaw designed for professional and heavy-duty tasks, equipped with a 50 cc engine and a 16 to 20-inch bar length, making it suitable for various cutting applications. It features Easy2Start technology for effortless starting and a built-in anti-vibration system for comfortable use, making it a reliable and efficient tool for demanding woodcutting tasks.
1. Standard Version
The Stihl MS 270 base model boasts a powerful 2.7 kW engine and comes with a 45 cm long guide bar, along with a standard 16-inch chain.
2. R version
The Stihl MS 270 R version offers the added convenience of a wrap handle, ensuring superior comfort and control during operation. It is perfect for individuals working in confined spaces or tackling longer tasks.
3. C-Q version
With the automatic oiling system, the Stihl MS 270 C-Q version guarantees effortless lubrication of the chain and bar while in use. This low-maintenance and user-friendly chainsaw is an excellent choice for those seeking simplicity.
4. Quick Chain Tensioning (QCT) version
The Stihl MS 270 Quick Chain Tensioning version eliminates the need for tools, allowing for easy adjustments of the chain tension. It is an ideal option for individuals requiring frequent chain tension modifications.
5. Long-reach version
Specifically designed for those who need to reach high branches or cut large trees, the Stihl MS 270 long-reach version features a longer guide bar that meets such demanding tasks with ease.
- The Anti-Vibration System ensures that vibrations are minimized while using the chainsaw, improving comfort and reducing fatigue.
- For enhanced safety, the Quick-Stop Chain Brake promptly stops the chain in the event of kickback.
- Easy Maintenance with the conveniently positioned air filter, allowing for simple cleaning and replacement. Additionally, the chainsaw features a toolless fuel cap for quick and effortless refueling.
- The Advanced Engine Design of the 2.7 kW engine not only offers ample power for challenging cutting tasks but also promotes fuel efficiency and emission reduction.
- Featuring high-quality steel construction, the 45 cm long guide bar is built to withstand the toughest conditions.
- Chain tension adjustment is a breeze as it can be easily done without the need for any tools.
- Weight: 5.30 kg
- Engine power: 3.50 HP
- Engine power: 2.60 kW
- Cylinder displacement: 50.00 cc
- Fuel tank volume: 0.52 l
- Chain tension: Side access
- Oil tank volume: 0.28 l
The price of the Stihl MS 270 chainsaw can vary depending on several factors such as the retailer, location, and any additional accessories or features included. On average, the Stihl MS 270 is priced around $400 to $500.
However, prices may range from $350 for a basic model without any additional accessories to $600 for a package that includes extra chains, bar oil, and a carrying case. It’s always a good idea to check with authorized Stihl dealers or their online platforms to get the most accurate and up-to-date pricing information.
If you’re looking for alternatives to the Stihl MS 270 chainsaw, there are several comparable options available on the market. Here are five alternatives worth considering:
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher: Known for its durability and power, the Husqvarna 455 Rancher offers similar features to the Stihl MS 270, such as a powerful engine, ergonomic design, and ease of use.
- Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf: This chainsaw is popular for its high cutting capacity and durability. It boasts a professional-grade 59.8cc engine and a 5-year consumer warranty.
- Makita EA6100PRGG: With a strong 61cc engine and easy-start system, the Makita EA6100PRGG is designed for heavy-duty cutting tasks. Its compact design and low weight make it easy to handle.
- Poulan Pro PP5020AV: This chainsaw is known for its affordability and reliability. It features a 50cc engine, easy-start system, and a durable build, making it suitable for homeowners and light-duty professional use.
- Jonsered CS2255: The Jonsered CS2255 is a professional-grade chainsaw with a 55.5cc engine and a robust build. It offers powerful cutting performance and user-friendly features, including an adjustable oiler and quick chain tensioning.
270 Chainsaw Parts
The Stihl MS 270 chainsaw comes with various parts that are readily available for replacement and maintenance. Some of the essential parts include:
- Bar and chain: The bar is the long metal component that guides the chain during cutting, while the chain is the toothed component that does the actual cutting.
- Engine components: This includes the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, and carburetor, which are crucial for the proper functioning of the chainsaw’s engine.
- Chain brake: The chain brake is a safety feature that stops the chain from moving in case of kickback or other potentially dangerous situations.
- Handles and grips: The handles, grips, and trigger controls ensure comfortable and secure handling of the chainsaw during operation.
- Chain tensioning system: The chain tensioning system allows for quick adjustments to ensure optimal chain tension for safe and efficient cutting.
What kind of fuel does the Stihl 270 use?
The Stihl MS 270 chainsaw uses a fuel mixture of gasoline and two-stroke oil. Stihl recommends a 50:1 fuel mixture ratio, meaning you should mix 2.6 fluid ounces (or 77 ml) of two-stroke oil with one gallon (or 3.8 liters) of gasoline.
What is the bar length of the Stihl 270?
The Stihl MS 270 chainsaw typically comes with a bar length of 16 inches (or 40 cm). However, it is important to note that different bar lengths may be available for the MS 270 model, so it’s always a good idea to check the specific product details before purchasing.
How do I adjust the chain tension on the Stihl MS270?
To adjust the chain tension on the Stihl MS 270, follow these steps:
- Turn off the chainsaw and allow the chain and bar to cool down.
- Use a screwdriver or a specific tool that comes with the chainsaw to loosen the bar nuts located on the side cover of the chainsaw.
- After loosening the nuts, you can adjust the tension by turning the tensioning screw located at the front of the saw underneath the bar.
- Ensure that the chain tension is correct by pulling it up from the bottom. The chain should rotate freely while still fitting snugly against the guide bar.
- Tighten the bar nuts while holding the bar upward to maintain proper tension and then double-check that the chain tension is correctly adjusted.
- Finally, test the chain tension again by manually rotating the chain to see if it moves freely without binding.
What is the warranty on the MS 270 chainsaw?
The warranty on the Stihl MS 270 chainsaw may vary depending on the country and the specific warranty policies set by the retailer or dealer you purchase it from.
However, most Stihl chainsaws, including the MS 270, typically come with a limited warranty of 1 to 2 years for non-commercial or residential use. It is recommended to consult the warranty information provided by the retailer or directly contact Stihl for accurate and up-to-date warranty details.
What is the weight of the Stihl MS270 chainsaw?
The weight of the Stihl MS 270 chainsaw without fuel, guide bar, or chain is approximately 10.6 pounds (or 4.8 kilograms). Keep in mind that the weight may vary slightly depending on the specific configuration and additional attachments present on the chainsaw.
How do I start the Stihl 270 chainsaw?
To start the Stihl MS 270 chainsaw, you can follow these steps:
- Place the chainsaw on a flat and stable surface, ensuring the chain is not in contact with anything.
- Activate the chain brake by pushing the handguard forward.
- Turn the Master Control Lever to the cold start position (choke) by moving it all the way up.
- Prime the engine by pressing the fuel pump a few times until you can see fuel filling the clear primer bulb.
- Ensure the on/off switch is in the “on” position.
- Place your left hand on the front handle, your right foot on the rear grip, and set the chainsaw on the ground.
- Grip the starter handle with your right hand, resting your left foot on the rear handle to hold the chainsaw steady.
- Pull the starter handle firmly and briskly until you feel a slight resistance, then give it a strong, smooth pull to start the engine.
- Once the engine starts, let it warm up for a few moments, then press the throttle trigger to disengage the chain brake and you are ready to use the chainsaw.
Stihl MS 270 chainsaw is truly a remarkable tool that lives up to the brand’s reputation. Its combination of power, reliability, and ease of use makes it a top choice for professionals and homeowners alike. Whether you’re felling large trees, cutting firewood, or handling smaller landscaping projects, the Stihl MS 270 is up to the task.