If you’re a Stihl MS 400 owner, then you know that this chainsaw is one of the best on the market. But like any piece of machinery, it’s not without its problems. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most common Stihl MS 400 problems, as well as provide some troubleshooting tips and guides.
Problem 1: Excessive oil consumption
The first possibility is that the oil filter is not properly gripping the oil. This can be due to a worn or broken filter, or a clogged oil filter screen. If this is the case, it is possible to replace the filter.
The second possibility is that the oil is not being burned properly. This can be due to a clogged air filter, or a low oil flow rate. If this is the case, it is possible to replace the oil or the air filter.
How to fix:
If you are experiencing an excessive amount of oil consumption while using your Stihl MS 400 chainsaw, there are a few things that you can do to correct the situation.
- First, make sure that you are using the correct oil for your chainsaw.
- Second, make sure that you are following the manufacturer’s guidelines for chain maintenance.
- Finally, make sure that you are keeping your chainsaw in good working order. If you can address each of these factors, you should be able to prevent your chainsaw from consuming excessive oil and ensuring long-term efficiency.
Problem 2: Leaking Oil
There is a possibility that the engine may be overworked, leading to the oil leakage. It is also possible that the engine may not be properly lubricated, which could also lead to the oil leakage. If the engine is not properly maintained or is not properly adjusted, it could also cause the oil leakage. There may also be other causes of the oil leakage, such as faulty parts or assembly.
How to fix:
If your Stihl MS 400 is leaking oil, here are a few things you can do to try and fix the problem.
- Check the oil level. If the oil level is low, you may need to add more oil to the machine. Be sure to check the level every time you use the machine to make sure it’s at the correct level.
- Check the oil filter. If the oil filter is clogged, the machine may not be able to properly lubricate the internal engine parts. In this case, you may need to replace the oil filter.
- Check the engine oil. If the engine oil is low, it may not be able to provide the necessary lubrication to the engine. In this case, you’ll need to add more engine oil to the machine.
- Check the air filter. If the air filter is clogged, the machine may not be able to properly breathe. In this case, you may need to replace the air filter.
- Check the engine oil level. If any of the above steps fail to fix the problem, you may need to take the machine in for repairs.
Problem 3: Bars And Chains Are Not Being Lubricated
There are a few main reasons why the Bars And Chains of Stihl MS 400 may not be lubricated, and these include the following:
- The chains may be too rough or abrasive – if they are not lubricated, this can cause the chains to wear faster and become more difficult to operate.
- The lubricant may be ineffective – if the lubricant is not effective, it will not protect the chains from wear and tear, and they will eventually need to be replaced.
- The lubricant may be contaminated – if the lubricant is contaminated, it will cause the chains to wear faster and become more difficult to operate.
- The lubricant may be running low – if the lubricant is running low, it will not be effective and the chains will eventually wear out.
How to fix:
If you are experiencing difficulty with the lubrication of your Bar and Chain saw, there are several things that you can do in order to rectify the issue.
- First, it is important to determine the source of the issue. If the lubrication is not coming from the engine, then you may need to check the lubrication system.
- If the lubrication is coming from the engine, then you may need to check the chain and bar saw’s oil level.
- Finally, if the lubrication is still not coming from the engine, you may need to replace the chain or bar saw’s lubrication system.
Problem 4: Stihl MS 400 Not Starting
There could be a number of reasons why your Stihl MS 400 electric chainsaw may not be starting. Here are a few of the most common:
- Dirty spark plug. Check to make sure the spark plug is clean and free of metal shavings.
- Defective engine. If the engine seems to be struggling to start, it may be time to have it serviced.
- Faulty fuel line. If the fuel line seems to be clogged, the chain saw may not be getting the fuel it needs to start.
- Low oil level. If the chain saw doesn’t seem to be getting enough oil to start, it may be time to add more.
- Defective chain. If the chain seems to be giving the engine trouble, it may be time to replace it.
How to fix
The Stihl MS 400 may not be starting. There are a few things you can check to determine if the engine is not starting. First, check the battery cable connection. Make sure the connection is tight, and that the cable is not frayed. Next, check the spark plug connections. Make sure the spark plugs are properly grounded, and that the wires are not damaged. Finally, check the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is not working, the engine may not start.
Problem 5: Stihl MS 400: Vibrates Excessively
The Stihl MS 400 chainsaw has been widely considered one of the best chainsaws on the market. However, some owners have reported that the saw vibrates excessively. This can be a serious problem, as the vibration can cause damage to the machine, as well as to the operator.
The cause of the excessive vibration is not entirely clear, but it may be related to the way the engine is configured. It may also be the result of a manufacturing defect. Whatever the cause, Stihl is working to resolve the issue.
How to fix
If you experience excessive vibration with your Stihl MS 400 chainsaw, it is important to take action. First, identify the source of the problem. Then, try to address it using one or more of the following strategies:
- Check the engine oil level. Low oil levels can cause the engine to overheat and generate excessive vibration.
- Check the chain tension. If the chain is too tight or too loose, the engine will have to work harder to turn the chainsaw, and the vibration will be increased.
- Check the chain alignment. If the chain is not aligned properly, the engine will have to work even harder to turn the chainsaw, and the vibration will be increased.
- Check the oil filter. If the filter is clogged, the engine will have to work even harder to turn the chainsaw, and the vibration will be increased.
- Check the carburetor. If the carburetor is not functioning properly, the engine will have to work even harder to turn the chainsaw, and the vibration will be increased.
Problem 6: Stihl MS 400: Engine Running At High And Low RPM Simultaneously
One of the most common issues that owners of Stihl MS 400 power tools face is the engine running at high and low RPMs simultaneously. This can be caused by a variety of factors, but the most common cause is a bad belt.
When the engine runs at high RPMs, the belt can become overstretched and start to break. This can cause the engine to run at low RPMs, which can cause problems with the transmission and other parts of the machine.
How to fix
If you notice that your engine is running at high and low RPMs simultaneously, the first thing you should do is check the belt. If it’s broken, you’ll need to replace it. If the belt isn’t the problem, there are a few other things you can check. First, make sure the engine is properly tuned. This means that the valves are in the right positions and the timing is correct.
If the engine is properly tuned, the other potential causes of the problem may be resolved. If the engine is running at high RPMs because of a bad belt, the belt may need to be replaced. If the engine is running at low RPMs because of a low oil level, oil may need to be added to the engine. If the engine is running at low RPMs because of a clogged air filter, the filter may need to be replaced.
Whatever the cause, fixing the problem will usually require some sort of repair. If you’re not sure what to do, or if the problem is more complicated than just replacing a belt, take your Stihl MS 400 to a qualified technician.
Problem 7: Stihl MS 400: Saw chain stops under load at full throttle
When using a Stihl MS 400 saw chain stops under load at full throttle. The chain becomes caught on the teeth of the saws sprocket and the saw can no longer be used. There are a few causes for this problem.
- The chain may be too short.
- The saws sprocket may be worn out.
- The chain may be too tight.
- The saws sprocket may be incorrectly installed.
- The chain may be incorrectly tensioned.
How to fix
To solve the problem, check the length of the chain, the condition of the saws sprocket, and the tension of the chain. If the problem is with the chain, replace it. If the problem is with the saws sprocket, replace it. If the problem is with the tension of the chain, adjust it.
Problem 8: Stihl MS 400: Saw chain rotates at idle speed
The Stihl MS 400 saw chain can rotate at idle speed, which can cause sawdust and material to be thrown off the saw blade. There are several causes and solutions to this problem.
Causes of saw chain rotating at idle speed:
- Excessive wear or skidding on the saw chain.
- Improperly maintained saw chain.
- Faulty saw chain tensioner.
- Faulty saw chain drive.
How to fix
Solutions to saw chain rotating at idle speed:
- Replace the saw chain.
- Adjust the saw chain tensioner.
- Replace the saw chain drive.
- Maintain the saw chain properly.
Problem 9: Stihl MS 400: Loud noises
A Stihl MS 400 saw may be making loud noises. There are several potential causes of this issue, including a broken blade, a worn out engine, or a clogged filter.
How to fix
To diagnose the issue, you’ll need to take the saw apart and inspect the components. If the noise is coming from the engine, you may need to replace the engine. If the noise is coming from the blade, you may need to replace the blade. If the noise is coming from the filter, you may need to clean it.
Problem 10: Stihl MS 400: Chain sprocket wears rapidly
The chain sprocket on a Stihl MS 400 is made from high-speed steel, which can wear down over time. This is because the chain interacts with the sprocket at high speeds, which can cause it to become scratched and dented.
One way to prevent the chain sprocket from wearing down too quickly is to keep the chain properly lubricated. This can be done by applying a quality chain lubricant every time the chain is lubricated.
Another cause of the chain sprocket on the Stihl MS 400 wearing down quickly is excessive use. If the chain is constantly being dragged over the sprocket, it can cause the sprocket to wear down more rapidly.
How to fix
There are a few solutions to the issue of the chain sprocket on the Stihl MS 400 wearing down rapidly. One solution is to replace the chain sprocket with a new one. This can be done by either purchasing a new chain sprocket or by replacing the chain on the saw.
Another solution is to lubricate the chain regularly. This can be done by applying a quality chain lubricant every time the saw is lubricated.
If excessive use is the cause of the chain sprocket on the Stihl MS 400 wearing down rapidly, then the user can try to limit their use of the saw. This can be done by following the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
While the Stihl MS 400 is a powerful and versatile saw, it is not without its problems. Users have reported a number of issues with the saw, including difficulty starting it, the chain coming off, and the chain getting stuck. However, with a little troubleshooting, these problems can be easily resolved. With proper care and maintenance, the Stihl MS 400 can provide years of dependable service.