The Stihl MSA 140 C-B is a great tool for the forestry, hunting and lawn care professionals. It has a powerful engine, adjustable height handlebars and a comfortable seat. But there are some problems that can occur with this tool. In this article, we will introduce Stihl MSA 140 C-B to you and help you solve the common problems so you can use this chainsaw properly.
Stihl MSA 140 C-B Review
Design and construction
The Stihl MSA 140 C-B chainsaw is a disappointment for those who value both design and construction. This chainsaw comes with an underwhelming design that lacks the aesthetic appeal of other models in its category. The housing of the chainsaw is made of plastic, which gives it a cheap feel despite the high price tag.
Aside from its unimpressive design, there are also concerns about the durability of this product. The quality of materials used to construct it leaves much to be desired, as many users have reported experiencing hardware malfunctions after only a few uses. Furthermore, the chain tension adjustment mechanism is poorly designed, making it difficult to make adjustments without using tools.
- Power Source: Battery
- Powerhead Weight: 5.7 lbs.
- Weight: 8.6 lbs.
- Guide Bar Length: (Recommended) 12 in.
- Oliomatic® Chain: 1/4″ PM3
- Chain Oil Capacity: 3.7 oz.
- Battery System: AK Series
- Run Time: Up to 45 min.
- Voltage: 36 volt
- Reduced-Emission Engine Technology – Caring for Nature
- Lightweight Portability Stihl MSA 140 C-B
- Ematic™ Lubrication System
- STIHL Electric Motor
- Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B)
- Rubberized Soft Touch Handle
The Stihl MSA 140 C-B is a cordless chainsaw designed for homeowners who need to perform light yard work. This chainsaw features a 12-inch guide bar and chain, which makes it perfect for pruning trees or cutting firewood. Additionally, it weighs only 8.6 pounds, making it easy to maneuver and control.
The Stihl MSA 140 C-B is powered by a Lithium-Ion battery that provides up to 45 minutes of run time on a single charge. This battery also has no memory effect, meaning you can recharge it at any time without reducing its capacity. Furthermore, this chainsaw has an automatic oiling system that ensures the chain stays lubricated while in use.In terms of performance, the Stihl MSA 140 C-B delivers exceptional results with its high cutting speed and powerful motor.
Pros and Cons
- Lightweight construction makes it easy to use and maneuver.
- Cordless design allows for greater mobility and freedom of movement.
- Equipped with a safety lock to prevent accidental start-ups.
- Comes with a built-in battery that provides up to 45 minutes of run time.
- Compatible with additional batteries and chargers from the Stihl range.
- Limited power output makes it suitable for lighter tasks only.
- Low chain speed when compared to other products in the market.
- Battery life may not be sufficient for larger or more strenuous jobs.
- Expensive when compared to other battery-powered chainsaws.
Price and Warranty
The Stihl MSA 140 C-B is priced at around $350, which is relatively high for a cordless chainsaw of its size and capabilities. This product comes with a warranty that covers defects in material and workmanship for up to two years.
Customer reviews for the Stihl MSA 140 C-B are mostly positive, with users praising its lightweight construction, easy-to-use design, and battery life. However, some users have noted that the low chain speed can make it challenging to tackle larger or tougher tasks, while others have said that the limited battery life may not be suitable for extended use.
Additionally, some users have noted that the price is relatively high compared to other battery-powered chainsaws on the market. Overall, the Stihl MSA 140 C-B appears to be a solid choice for those in need of a lightweight, cordless chainsaw for occasional use.
Common Problems and Solutions
Some common problems with the STIHL MSA 120 C-B cordless chainsaw include chain not rotating, battery not charging, and chain coming off the bar.
- Chain not rotating: This could be due to dull or damaged chain, worn bar, or loose chain tension. Solutions include sharpening or replacing the chain, replacing the bar, or adjusting the chain tension.
- Battery not charging: This issue could be due to dirty or faulty charger contacts, low battery voltage, or a faulty battery. To fix this problem, clean the charger contacts, charge the battery for longer, or replace the battery.
- Chain coming off the bar: This may happen due to a loose or worn chain, wrong bar size, or incorrect chain tension. Tightening the chain, replacing the chain or bar, or adjusting the chain tension can solve the issue.
To maintain the STIHL MSA 120 C-B chainsaw, follow these tips:
- Monitor the chain tension regularly and adjust it as needed.
- Keep the bar and chain clean and free from debris.
- Sharpen the chain whenever it becomes dull or damaged.
- Check the air filter regularly and clean or replace it if necessary.
- Lubricate the chain and bar with bar and chain oil to extend their lifespan.
- Store the chainsaw properly, preferably in a dry and secure place.
STIHL MSA 120 C-B Alternatives
If you’re looking for alternatives to the STIHL MSA 120 C-B cordless chainsaw, here are a few options:
- DEWALT DCCS620P1: Another cordless chainsaw option with a 20-volt battery and 12″ bar. This chainsaw has an auto-oiling system and tool-free chain tensioning.
- Makita XCU03PT1: This cordless chainsaw has a 14″ bar and 36-volt battery. It features a tool-less chain adjustment and automatic chain lubrication.
- Greenworks PRO GCS80420: This cordless chainsaw has an 18″ bar and 80-volt battery. It comes with an automatic oiler and digital controlled brushless motor.
In conclusion,the Stihl MSA 140 C-B is an excellent saw for the DIY homeowner. Its specs and features make it a great choice for those who are new to Home construction or who have little experience with another saw. However, there are a few problems that can occur with this saw, so be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when troubleshooting any issues.