The Stihl MSA 220 C-B is one of the most popular cordless saws on the market. It’s easy to use and has a wide variety of features, making it a great option for homeowners and professionals alike. However, there are some potential problems that can occur during use, and users should be familiar with the following troubleshooting tips in order to prevent them from happening.
Stihl MSA 220 C-B: What should you know about
The Stihl MSA 220 C-B is a powerful cordless chainsaw that offers both convenience and performance. This tool is perfect for homeowners and professionals who require a reliable and efficient tool. It has been designed to provide optimal comfort during use, making it easy to handle even for extended periods.
One of the key features of the Stihl MSA 220 C-B is its battery life. The saw comes with an AP 300 S Lithium-Ion battery that delivers up to 45 minutes of run time on a single charge. This means you can work uninterrupted without having to worry about running out of power halfway through your project.
Another benefit of this chainsaw is its high cutting speed. The saw’s brushless EC motor provides fast acceleration and consistent power output, allowing you to cut through logs quickly and efficiently.
Stihl MSA 220 C-B Review
Design and construction
One of the standout features of the Stihl MSA 220 C-B is its sturdy construction. The chainsaw has a durable housing that can withstand tough conditions and keep your machine running smoothly for years to come. The toolless chain tensioning system also ensures that you can easily adjust your chain without having to stop what you’re doing.
Another factor that sets this chainsaw apart is its sleek design. The MSA 220 C-B has an ergonomic handle with soft-grip material, making it comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
- Model: Stihl MSA 220 C-B
- Guide Bar Length: 14 in. and 16 in.
- Powerhead Weight: 10.4 lbs with AP 300 S battery, 6.4 lbs. without battery
- Recommended Chain: 63 PS3
- Chain Speed: 78 ft/s
- Guide Bar: Stihl Rollomatic E
- Run Time (with AP 300 S): Up to 48 minutes
- Warranty: 2-year commercial, 3-year residential
- Caring for nature Stihl MSA 220 C-B.
- Stihl Quickstop Stihl MSA 220 C-B
- Ematic lubrication system Stihl MSA 220 C-B
- Stihl electric brushless motor
- Quick chain adjuster (QCA) (B)
- Rubberized soft-touch handle Stihl MSA 220 C-B
- Coast-down brake Stihl MSA 220 C-B
- Raised and printed felling stripe
One of the key benefits of the Stihl MSA 220 C-B is its incredible cutting performance. With a maximum chain speed of 80 feet per second, this chainsaw can easily slice through even the thickest branches and limbs. Plus, its high-capacity battery means you can work for hours without having to stop and recharge.
Pros and Cons
- It’s Easy to Use
- Very Quiet to use
- Easy to tension the chain
- Lightweight and compact
- Tool-free oil tank cap
- Chainsaw is expensive
- Batteries and chargers expensive
- The battery does not last long
Price and Warranty
The price of the Stihl MSA 220 C-B is around $400-$500 depending on the retailer. The warranty for the chainsaw is typically 2 years for residential use or 1 year for commercial use.
Here are some of the key takeaways from what customers have been saying about this impressive tool. Firstly, many customers rave about the power that this saw packs. With its 36-volt Lithium-Ion battery technology, the MSA 220 C-B can easily handle large cutting jobs without needing to be recharged frequently.
Additionally, users appreciate how quickly and efficiently this saw can cut through even dense or thick material like hardwoods or wet logs. The inclusion of STIHL’s exclusive quick chain tensioning system also makes maintenance quick and easy.
STIHL MSA 120 C-B Alternatives
Here are some alternatives to consider:
- DEWALT DCCS620P1 Cordless Chainsaw: This model offers a longer battery life and faster cutting than the STIHL MSA 120 C-B.
- EGO Power+ CS1400 Cordless Chainsaw: This model has a larger cutting capacity and longer run time than the STIHL MSA 120 C-B.
- BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 Cordless Chainsaw: This model is significantly lighter than the STIHL MSA 120 C-B, making it easier to handle for long periods of time.
- Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw: This model has a longer battery life and offers a similar cutting capacity to the STIHL MSA 120 C-B.
- Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless Chainsaw: This model offers a longer battery life and is more affordable than the STIHL MSA 120 C-B.
Common Problems and Troubleshooting
Battery life is short
The STIHL MSA 220 C-B is a popular chainsaw model among professionals and homeowners alike. It boasts powerful cutting ability and a long-lasting battery, making it an ideal choice for those who need to tackle tough jobs on a regular basis. However, some users have reported experiencing short battery life with the STIHL MSA 120 C-B model.
To troubleshoot this issue, the first step is to ensure that the battery is fully charged before use. If the battery has not been charged properly, it will not last as long as expected. Additionally, be sure to check that all connections between the battery and chainsaw are secure and free of debris or corrosion. Another common cause of short battery life could be excessive use or overworking of the chainsaw.
Chain tensioning issues
Before you make your purchase, it’s important to know about some common issues that can arise with the STIHL MSA 120 C-B chain tensioning system. One issue that many users have reported is difficulty with chain tensioning. The chain may become loose over time, which can cause it to jump off or even break while in use.
Luckily, there are some easy troubleshooting tips you can follow to fix this issue on your own. Firstly, check the chain tension adjustment knob and ensure that it is properly tightened. If this doesn’t work, try loosening the bar nuts slightly and adjusting the tension again.
Chain oil leakage
You can do:
- Check the oil reservoir and fill it if necessary.
- Make sure the oil cap and oil line are properly installed and not damaged.
- Check the oil pump and the oil filter for dirt or debris and clean or replace them if necessary.
- Check the chain for tightness and adjust it if necessary.
- If the leakage persists after these steps, contact a professional technician for further assistance.
- Make sure the battery is fully charged and properly inserted into the chainsaw.
- Check the ON/OFF switch and the throttle trigger for damage, and make sure they are properly functioning.
- Check the spark plug for fouling, and clean or replace it if necessary
- If it still cannot start, try cleaning the carburetor, or have it serviced to a professional technician.
When you find your STIHL MSA 120 C-B with power issues, you can try to do:
- Check the battery level, and charge the battery if it is low.
- Check the air filter and clean or replace it if necessary
- Check and clean the fuel system, recall, and put fresh gas into the fuel.
- Check the spark plug for fouling or damage, and clean or replace it if necessary.
- If the power issues continue, have it serviced to a professional technician.
One of the key selling points of this model is its chain durability, which sets it apart from other chainsaws in its class. The STIHL MSA 120 C-B is built to last. Its chain is made from high-quality materials that have been engineered for maximum strength and longevity.
With proper care and maintenance, this chainsaw can provide years of reliable service even under heavy use. However, as with any piece of equipment, there may be times when you encounter issues with your chain’s performance or durability.
In conclusion, if you are in need of a reliable, high-performance chainsaw, the Stihl MSA 220 C-B is a great tool to consider. With its powerful motor, long battery life, and advanced features, this chainsaw is perfect for professionals who need a tool that can get the job done quickly and efficiently. With the troubleshooting tips we have provided, you can easily fix any problems that may arise, and continue using your Stihl MSA 220 C-B for years to come.